Thursday, April 30, 2009

Central Africa at War

The basic focus point of the problems of central Africa from the textbook was that it was always at war and there was constant civil war.  When I looked on the WHO for the Central African Republic's Death Causes I found it interesting that it didn't have war or fighting as one of the causes.  Then I looked back in the textbook and thought maybe go more towards individual country, so I looked up the Democratic Republic of Congo and found that 5% of all of the deaths (something like 44 of 987) were caused by war.  I thought that was a little amazing among itself, 5% of the country dies because of war (I think annually).  

Next I looked up Rwanda and then Burundi.  Again, for Rwanda, war wasn't even listed, but for Burundi it was 7% or about 8 out of 120 people.  The textbook said that there was constant civil war and even with talks of peace it still continues on and on, so you would have to think that these fatality numbers are constant from year to year.  This seems amazing considering all of the other potential problems that Africa has, from diseases to economic problems, to still have that many people die annually in these countries is a little ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment