Tuesday, May 5, 2009

African Literature and Movies

The only book by an African author that I have read is Things Fall Apart. This book tells the story of a man and his village that he greatly cares for. It tells of many Igbo rituals and beliefs and how these beliefs changed with the coming of white settlers hoping to spread Christianity. I personally did not like the story, and the only reason I can give for that is that Okonkwo, the main character, just bothered me because he was very one-dimensional and set in his ways. But, although the book is not my favorite, it is still quite historically accurate, and you can learn a lot of about African, or at least Igbo, culture from this book.
The only movie I have seen is the one we saw in class, The Battle of Algiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment