Sunday, March 15, 2009

World War 2 Vets

I was not able to interview anyone directly who fought in World War Two because of my two relations who fought, one died in the war and the other died a number of years ago.  Instead, I asked my grandmother, who was cousin to both of them, about their war experience.

The first man, Eugene Arning, was in the Air Force and flew many combat missions in Europe, specifically over German soil.  He had just gotten married and had no intentions of going to war, but was drafted and went anyways.  He was shot down and died in 1943.

The second man, whose name I did not get, was also drafted into service, and had a wife and three children when he left.  While serving in the army, he was captured and held in a POW camp in Germany for almost a full year.  When he returned, his wife had left him and he had to restart his life, which he was able to do, and he never talked about his experiences in the camp.

In terms of the question of why they went to war, I didn't find much of an answer.  Both men led happy lives in Texas before being drafted into a war they didn't really feel like fighting in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment