Sunday, March 15, 2009

WWII Enlistment

"Hello soldier, ready to kill more Germans?"
While my grandfather was never asked such a question, he did serve his country faithfully during WWII.  As a matter of fact, both of my grandfathers served faithfully.
Samuel W. Fancher, my paternal grandfather, served as a pilot for the Canadian Air Force, known as the RAF(Royal Air Force).  While he is no longer with us today, I was able to gain some interesting knowledge about his service via my dad.  He flew a RAF Fairey light fighter-bomber plane.  My dad doesn't know the extent of his service abroad during the war, but he was a trainer of pilots in Canada.  And if I had to guess, I'm sure served gloriously across the seas due to his experience in flying small, acrobatic airplanes at home.  
My maternal grandfather, Cyrus William "Bill" Ridenour, served in the Navy/National Guard during the Korean war.  He experienced no first hand combat, but still served his country faithfully.

The most notable of the Fancher relatives in terms of military service is my Uncle Jerome.  He was a 3 star General in the Vietnam War.  He continued his service for long after the Vietnam War too.  He was instrumental in several Vietnam battles and helped serve the US in a very troublesome war.  To this day it is easy to tell that he served in the military because of his strict personality.  
 
My family has a very honorable (like Jon Jon) history in terms of service in the military to their home country, whether it be the US or Canada.  Previous relatives have also sacrificed the most when serving in the military.  I am proud of my families' history

No comments:

Post a Comment