Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Armenian Genocide Memorials

My original idea for Part One of our final project was to simply research Mother Armenia, a monument located in Yerevan, Armenia but then I stumbled upon The Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute. Soon after I found this site, which collects lots and lots of Armenian Genocide Memorials by separating them by country. So my new and improved project plan is to research lots of different monuments from this one site. The question I created is, "How is the Armenian Genocide of 1915 mainly portrayed? And how do different countries represent this horrific genocide?" I plan on choosing countries who actually take a role in this situation such as Germany and will try not to pick countries such as Venezuela that has no true connection. Later in my research I discovered that many of these monuments have either been destroyed or stolen which suggests that the Armenians may still be a hated race. Who is stealing/destroying these monuments and why are they doing it? Finally is there a common thread between the builders of these monuments? And is there a certain sculptor who revolutionized Armenian Genocide Monuments/did one sculptor create multiple monuments? One small factual question I look to answer is, "What is the definition Khachkar and why are there so many monuments commemorating the 1915 genocide called this?"Another question that I have recently decided to answer is whether relations between Turks and Armenians have been recently resolved or if this conflict continues? I also want to learn the reason this rivalry began and truly identify who is at fault. I look forward to researching this project mostly because my background is both Armenian and Assyrian, two races oppressed against during the 1915 Armenian Genocide.

No comments:

Post a Comment