Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Books and Videos!

I have not read that many books by African or Middle Eastern writers because most of my English classes have nurtured my curiosity for American writers. These would include African American writers that I enjoy like Fredrick Douglass, Ralph Ellison, Henry Louis gates, and James Baldwin. However below are a couple books I have read depicting the life in Africa or the Middle East.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
The series of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and a few more of his books


As for movies, there are also not many that I can remember but here are a few. (The last three I have a vague memory of but I know I watched them).
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
A couple episodes of the show and some great short videos of Botswana, Africa and its culture
Hotel Rwanda
Blood Diamond
African Queen
The Last King of Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment