Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Pop Culture: Africa and the Middle East

Unfortunatelty, I do not have a very extensive knowledge of African literature or the Middle East or Africa in other media. I have--like everyone else--read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. The story--simply put--is about a village of Igbo people that is invaded by white missionaries who hope to convert them to Christianity. In general, I was not a big fan of this book. Frequenty it was very sexist (and although I realize that this is probably an accurate rendition of the village and its people, I still don't like or agree with it), and the plot--while it was well-written in that it wasn't a novel harshly condemning the white men for their actions--did not have much depth to it besides telling the same story from two different points of view.
As for movies, I have seen The Battle of Algiers, which we saw in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment