Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Status of Women

At the beginning of World War I, women status gradually evolved into a dramatic change by the end of the war. Because the men were gone at battle for the war, many women had to take full responsibility of not only domestic affairs, but also labor and work. Due to this, women began to feel more independent and socially equal compared to the men of society. Although there were many similarities between women status in World War I and World War II, World War II provided more opportunities and privileges for the women to have an actual impact on the war itself. Women gained the rights to work with planes, including flying, building, and operating. Over a thousand women served in the U.S. Air Force in the WASP, however, they did not gain full recognition for their military service until the seventies. World War I and World War II both provided a greater range of women occupations and rights, but by the time World War II arrived, people became more comfortable with the idea of women being treated with greater equality.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew that their were a thousand women who served in the Air Force I knew their were some but I didn't realize their were that many. Also I liked how you pointed out the changes that were made in WWII for women and the jobs that they had.

    ReplyDelete