Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Cold War

Upon chatting with a couple of my parents, I was surprised to hear about the difference in impact that some events of the war had on them. Upon talking to my mom, I asked her about the Cold War and she had me remind her what the actual conflict was. When I described the conflict a little more, she kind of shrugged and said that she didn't remember anything and that if anything important had happened with it during her childhood, it surely wasn't significant enough to her for her to remember it. This alone I found pretty interesting, because the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred while she was in her teens, she still was not aware of any of the events surrounding the conflict. Based on some of the interesting stories of some other kids in the class, I thought that this recollection that my mom had of it was somewhat interesting as well, because it represents the fact that a lot of people sometimes in America don't always know about some important things that happen in a lot of events, and this goes for a lot of people and a lot of events in history.  My dad, on the other hand, talked extensively about the Cuban Missile Crisis, and how this really sparked some interest in him about Cuba and their dynamic of government at the time. Overall, I found it quite interesting that there could be such a wide range of interest and knowledge about a topic in a time that both my parents grew up in.

No comments:

Post a Comment