Monday, May 18, 2009

The Cold War

I interviewed my dad about the Cold War. He was very young at the time, still in elementary school, however when I asked him what he remembered about the time the first thing that he said was the Cuban Missile Crisis. This was a time when tensions were extremely high between the US and Soviet Union, and tensions reached their peak when the Soviet Union decided to place nuclear missiles in Cuba. My dad remembers hearing about the event at the time, and that most people thought that World War three was about to break out. There was also a huge amount of relief when the crisis was averted. I also asked my dad if he did any drills to prepare for a nuclear war in his school. All they were told to do in an event of a nuclear launch was to duck under their desk, like that would help against an atomic bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment