Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From Knowledge to Opinions & Beyond

Writing research a paper is something that every highschool student has to go through, however, this year I felt I was able to turn an onerous activity into a genuine learning experience. In the first, I was able to create a stellar (in my opinion) thesis on Hidalgo & Morelos, and connect their characteristics with the leadership qualities of the ideal leader. The second essay was bit more difficult for me for I had to create love letters between two Russian lovers of the early 1900's and 1910's, one of which was a Bolshevik follower, while the other a citizen of a rioting industrial city. In a way I guess I mastered the process of creating characters, but from there I had no idea where to go. 
Research -- a beginning step to creating a paper -- came into play, and I had to dig deep. Collecting research material is tough, and I still have trouble finding the exact information I have my mind set on. Throughout the year though, I was able to improve on my techniques in acquiring research information by taking advantage of our school's library and the databases that our school website houses. With my paper, I had to point out the specific information I would need, and turn it into my own words, but the research is pointless without the most important component -- being a historian.
When writing, I try to think of each non-factual sentence as a mini-thesis. All of these sentences are opinions, and I feel that this year was a year for opinions for me. No offense to world religions, but you cannot have an opinion in that class without being pegged by the political correctness police. Throughout this year, and especially in the blogs, I was able to express my opinions in a scholarly environment, which will be helpful for next year. The blog was like a database of its own. From it gushed facts and the writers interpretation of those facts. Every class should have some type of public display like our class blog, because lets be honest, we should have outgrown the "I am self-conscious about my writing" phase after this year in history. 
To A block, you guys are awesome. I am intimidated by how much knowledge you guys have, and how energetic you guys are at all times. I hope to be your classmate again next year. Great year in history on the whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment