Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Looking Back

I have always considered history to be an important subject because, in my mind, there are not many things that are more educational than knowledge of the past as a foundation for the present. This philosophy, however, has been difficult to maintain because history is typically taught in a way that is extremely difficult for me to grasp and enjoy. This apprehension was ramified when Mama Pugs took charge of the class. With Mrs. Gertmenian, I was sure to endure another year of drowning in history. I learned a ton under Mama Pug's tutelage, in fact i wanted to learn in her class. My participation improved because I actually understood what she was asking us and I wanted to jump in and contribute.

I used to think of history as linear and one dimensional, but this year, I learned that history is still widely open to interpretation. I learned how to write opinion pieces about history, which was enjoyable because it gave me something to explore and taught me to be interpretive. I believe I have a better handle on the present better because I know a bit about the events that brought us here.

What is really cool, is that I find myself reaching for the New York Times, which didn't happen that often before we started blogging and writing on current events. I feel a desire to be informed. I used to avoid books that had historical foundation, but now I am not afraid to tackle them because i have a bearing as to where to put that information in my mind. I know this class was worth my time, and an asset to my future as a writer.

I owe all my enthusiasm for history to Mama Pugs: thanx for an amazing second semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment