Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Ideal Textbook

While I don't know if this would be the ideal textbook for most people, for me at least, the textbook would be better if it was written with everything in order.  While I do like the fact that there is a timeline that has all of the dates in it, and would put it in after every section to make sure people get a good idea on the separation between the dates and what was done in response to what, I think that it would be easier to read and understand if it didn't jump back and forth from Germany in 1934 to Japan in 1931.  In my textbook I would put everything all mixed in saying who did what, whether "who" is Japan, Germany, or the U.S, but all in chronological order.  For me, this would give me a little more perspective on what was going on when.

This would also allow the reader to have an easier time at going back to review.  Similar to the book, where if the timeline is after the section, then you know what is in that section by looking at what is on the timeline, in my book, the timeline will either be at the end of the chapter, or the different sections (sections broken up by date or by mood or actions of the war).  This will allow the reader to see, "Oh, this happened in 1934.  To get more information, I will go to the section about 1934."

Regarding the Holocaust vs. The War in General, I think that I would do it almost similarly to the book, where the sections are separate, but I think that I would devote more to it than our book does, because it is such an important topic.  Again though, I would try to present things in order, starting with the Kristallnacht, and ending with the end.  

While I think that our book gets the information across, I think that there are ways of making the information clearer and more understandable, as well as there probably could be a little more information added on some particular subjects.  There are probably many ways of doing this but I think that my changes would work the best.  (For me anyways.)

Edit: Title could be "I'll be home by Christmas."  While this probably applies more to WWI, you could probably say it in German based off of the diary of the german soldier in the book.  The second section could be:  "The Years of Broken People" again though in German, as a play on the Kristallnacht which is one of the first events to start off the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment