Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Textbook

If I were to create my own textbook, I would do it differently than the textbook we use right now. The textbook organizes the facts by country and individual chronological order. This makes seeing what was happening in different countries at the same time very hard. When someones wants to see what happened in two different places across the globe, the have to flip to different chapters of the textbook and write down the order on a timeline (which we did many times this year). In my textbook, I would organize the facts by chronological order of the whole world. This way people could understand what was happening in any country at a particular point in time. We would not have to spend extra time making timelines during class in order to get the idea of how different ideas were spreading across the globe at the same time.

Another change that I would have in my textbook is two different chapters regarding World War II and the Holocaust. The Holocaust wasn’t mentioned enough for what it truly was-the attempt to wipe out an entire group of people. Our book did not include many details and only had 2 pages on the Holocaust, when it changed the world in an unforgettable way. To make it stand out more and make it more significant in our mind, I would devote a whole chapter to talking about the details of the Holocaust. This of course would make the textbook even more boring to read because there was so much detail. My solution to this would be to make the textbook more fun to read (add funny pictures or something else) so that students would enjoy reading the textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment