Thursday, February 26, 2009

An Inspiration to All

Tomorrow, I have a lab report, a paper, and a test. For the past three hours, I have sat at my desk, complaining to myself about how tomorrow is going to be a bad, stressful day. It's amazing how I'm giving the oppurtunity to complain, the privilledge to have such a academic day. Forget the fact that we go to an unbelievable school with extraordinary resources. Reading this article in Upfront and watching the video about Malala made me realize that they're are hundreds of thousands of girl who sit at home and dream about being in my position. Not only should I be grateful to have the chance to learn and get the level of education I am getting, but that I don't have to worry about being shot or having acid thrown on me on the way to school. For girls like Malala, her work is something to look forward to; her life is what is on the line.
We've been studying the fascist governments of Italy, Germany, Russia, and Japan. Fascism is defined as a dictatorial and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization, usually including obedience to a political leader and harsh ways of approaching the task at hand. I can't say whether I believe the Taliban are fascist or not. I am not fully educated on their beliefs on government, but their actions signal that they are semi-fascist. While it does not seem that they have the leadership or organization of a party like the Nazis or Mussilini's Italy, they take similar approaches as the leaders of the nations above. Through unjustified violence and hatred, they maintain power out of fear. In that short video we watched in class, we could see that more than half the girls didn't show up for school because the Taliban said not to over the radio. But education is too important to not have. None of these fascist movements overall have done much good and in no way are they permitted to take away one's rights, let alone education. Girls risk their faces and their lives everywhere. This dedication should never be denied, but looked up to.

10 comments:

  1. This was a very well written Op-ed that flowed really well.
    I really liked the way you used one of you own "experiences" to begin the paper.
    I also agree with you about the Taliban.
    Im not sure and can't say if they are fascist but I do know that they show some elements of fascism in the way they rule "their people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this because it sounded really casual which worked well. Also, i like the definition of fascism in the story because it keeps everyone informed and presents a scholarly tone and flow. Lastly,it was a overall good op-ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your op-ed because you used definitions to clarify your evidence. I also thought that illustrating the contrast between the girls in Afghanistan and your own life at school was a powerful connection. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you used personal experience to lead into analysis of the Taliban. It was a good transition. I think it would have been interesting if you went into more detail about why the Taliban was only partly fascist because I thought that was very interesting and your best point. Overall, really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your Op-Ed. I think that you made some really good points on how we should cherish going to school more. I know that I always dread going to school, and I complain about having three tests on one day, but I think that I should think more about how lucky I am to be able to go to such a good school. I liked how you used the definition of fascism and then went into your arguments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the link between our sheltered society and the harmful environment that Afghani girls face each day. Although its not toooooo analytical, you have your facts straight, and its a great opinion about Afghani politics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eliza,
    I enjoyed reading your Op-Ed. It truly portrays the the life of a Menlo student versus the life of an Afghani girl. I thought you might need a little work on the transistion from eduaction of girls in Afghanistan to fascist nations such as Italy and Germany. I think your Op-Ed would be more compelling if you chose whether you believed the Taliban are fascist or if they aren't. I thought the voice in your Op-Ed was strong and that I will enjoy reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a fantastic op-ed. The fluidity of your sentences make it easy to follow your thoughts and understand the point you are trying to get across. My favorite thing you did is how you tied in the way the Taliban rule with the way Hitler and Mussilini ruled. This op-ed is truly "an insperation to all".

    - j-dub

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizaaa, I really like your op-ed and I love the way you state your confusion in a nice manner that shows where you are stuck. You have a very good op-ed that can help others decide where they stand if the Taliban is a fascism regime because of the way you state all of the evidence you are dealing with to form your opinion.
    beautiful Elizaaa!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Through your eloquent sentences to your comparisons to other historical badass guys I thought that this was really good and that you wrote with obvious passion and a lot of heart.

    ReplyDelete