Thursday, March 5, 2009

Appeasement

Life is a constant battle of appeasement with superiorities as well as yourself. We use appeasement because we fear the punishment of direct confrontation. Most days I am given advice from a coach that I view as either invaluable or either just straight wrong. But, as coach, they have the right to preach their own strategies, whether it differ from what you, as a player, have been taught by a personal coach or someone you believe in. Instead of arguing with them and earning a punishment, a few progressions perhaps, we give in to their suggestions. This has happened to me quite frequently, but instead of simply giving in to their incorrect advice, I only follow their instructions for the next few minutes. While not totally appeasing the situation, I do enough to avoid punishment and/or delay myself from developing an incorrect and unhelpful habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment