Thursday, March 5, 2009

Peace Extension

Throughout my life there have been multiple arguments where I grant concession to my parents as an effort to maintain peace between us. I usually do this because I have a pending permission that they need to give me and I don’t want to hurt my chances of getting it. The idea of appeasement can be quite effective in some cases, but only in those that the dispute is minor. However, it can also be ineffective in the sense that I often feel guilty for doing this and that the original problem is still present. The only thing that appeasement does is maintain peace on the surface for a bit longer, but underneath the tension continues to increase. When this tension is finally unearth is significantly larger than it needed to be. That is why is vital that when we have problems we need to face them as soon as possible because the longer we wait the more daunting they will be.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your last sentence about not facing our problems. It truly sums up what Europe did with Hitler's demands, and what ended up happening. It is very interesting how often in life these situations occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis of your family's tensions wonderfully ties into World War II in Europe. We saw that appeasement does not always work to fix the problem, it just hides the problem momentarily. We see that we could have fixed he problem quicker if we just faced it instead of using appeasement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt, no doubt. Tension beneath the surface of conflict situations has been a pattern in history for centuries and in some ways it still goes on today. We can even go as far as to say appeasement is the spark that begins a flame of war. Word on Sasha's coomen regarding the WWII tie-in. Nice.

    ReplyDelete