Thursday, March 5, 2009

Appeasement

We all at some point have probably used appeasement to get someone off of our backs. Unfortunately, appeasement is slightly different than a compromise, in the sense that the person who is doing the appeasing gets nothing in the deal. In a compromise, both people agree on a set condition and go on their way. Personally, I've seen that when I use appeasement as a way to get my parents off my back, and this may just my imagination, but I have found that they tend to ask me for a lot more favors. When I make a compromise with them however, it seems as though we just forget about it and it goes on a lot smoother. A specific example of appeasement is if I ask my dad for 10 dollars to buy food. I continue doing this until he finally decides that he's not giving me any more money. Then I get to ask, "Why the sudden change?" Fortunately, I haven't had many experiences with both of these, though I'm sure it is much more a part of the life of someone who has siblings.

3 comments:

  1. This applies very nicely to the story If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. We see that appeasement does not quench the thirst, while compromise may. I agree with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever met someone who is really nice and always thinks about someone else and never themselves? I know an adult who is like that. Most people don't take advantage of him, but many people have. He's gotten screwed because people take advantage of his generosity (Imagine he is the kid and the people who take advantage of him is the mouse).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good example from your life, it works really nicely with the concept of appeasement. Also, you should stop mooching off your dad and get a job. But great argument.

    ReplyDelete