Monday, March 16, 2009

Same as before: Boring but effective

I believe that the way the textbook sets up the history of WWII and the Holocaust works well, however the writing style often bores me. I love to learn about history, yet this book often puts me to sleep. The information is valid, yet I would rather swallow a nail then read from the textbook. The way they spilt up the information makes sense to me. They begin the chapter by explaining fascism and totalitarian state. After this it describes the Nazi Germans and discusses Hitler's life. It is slowly setting us up for WWII. This is where I believe the text goes in the wrong direction. After explaining Japan, U.S.S.R., and Italy the book goes straight into the thick and thin of the war. If I wrote a textbook I would instead explain the New Order of Germany, the Holocaust, the S.S., and the death camps. I also would have described the New Order in Asia and perhaps the homefront. This would give the reader more of a backdrop for the times and would help the reader better understand the war to follow. If I were to name the chapter I would name it, "New Orders, Oppressive Leaders, and another World War." I believe this title encompasses the main ideas of the chapter and is also quite catchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment