Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dinesh D'Souza - Racism

After I finished reading a biography on Dinesh D'Souza, I proceeded to read the other blogs posted about D'Souza, learning about many of the books he published. Already, by just some of the "loud" titles I was able to grasp more of a concept of who he was. I found a website with favorite D'Souza quotes, a few of the quotes which interested me more than others. I notice a pattern with a strong hatred against African Americans in his book The End of RacismThe American slave was treated like property, which is to say, pretty well.” (from D’Souza’s book, The End of Racism)  Shows off D'Souza's negative attitude and selfishness. “If America as a nation owes blacks as a group reparations for slavery, what do blacks as a group owe America for the abolition of slavery?” (from The End of Racism), I find it ironic that his book is titled The End of Racism, while he is making very racist remarks all throughout his book, contributing to racism as well. Madalena has discussed this particular book in depth and I very much agree with the opinions she gave. As Madalena said, "I do not believe racism is an inborn trait" which I entirely believe with. I think racism (in the present) is acquired from popular forms of media or influences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment