Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dinesh D'Souza: What's So Great about Christianity?

I read an interview conducted by Albert Mohler with Dinesh D'Souzawith about D'Souza's book: What's So Great About Christianity? In this interview Dinesh talks about his reasoning for writing this novel and what he considers militant atheists. I liked what Dinesh had to say because he seems special compared to other argumentative authors. Dinesh has been a secular writer for fifteen years. One quote of his that I find particularly interesting is, "I felt that something new is happening today. That is, we’re seeing for the first time atheism become a serious option for people and particularly for young people." I definitely think that this statement is true and that more and more kids my age and younger are becoming atheist. I have heard that during my parents generation children did not choose their religion and were often forced to fit into their parents mold. I, unlike the large majority of my friends, consider myself religious and am not afraid to share my beliefs. This is the main reason why I chose this interview because I am Catholic and I think Christianity is great so I wanted to hear Dinesh's point of view. In his interview Dinesh cites Christopher Hitchens an atheist writer who is considered by D'Souza as both "witty and stylish." Later D'Souza defines new atheism as "clothed in the garb of morality." Another good point that D'Souza makes is that atheism is now becoming more and more popular in pop culture, universities, and sometimes even government. Later he explains,"The atheists have very clearly said that their goal is to go after our children. In other words, they know that they have not won the battle for the current generation, but they are hoping that through the schools, and through the universities, as young Christians come into school, come into college—and remember, as in my case, when I went to college I was a Christian, but the Christianity I learned was very juvenile." I agree with him that atheism is not as popular with my parents and D'Souza's generation, however it is growing more and more popular in my generation. The final point that he makes that I find particularly interesting is he says, "But the Christianity I learned was ultimately a Christianity of habit. It was not a thoughtful Christianity." I think that this is a large problem in the Christian community and it will soon create even larger problems in the following years. The church is extremely low on priests and more and more kids are refusing to go to church. Not only are less kids attending, the ones attending are often forced to be there and don't geninuely believe what they are being taught. I believe that this may lead to a long slow demise of the Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment