Thursday, April 16, 2009

Regarding Frantz Fanon

This is a response to Caitlin's post below.

Not to be annoyingly challenging, but I politely disagree with your post. I feel that your thought of individuality and the power of distinguishing personal views from peers is a bit cliche and innocently idealistic. I agree with Fanton. I feel like people are constantly adapting to their surroundings, hence how children learn how to do...everything. It's a survival instinct. If colonization were to happen, and the colonies spread their influence all over the native land, I think that their actions and words could change the way the natives speak. Humans subconsciously adapt to their environment to survive. One example is Stockholm Syndrome. In order to survive, a prisoner gains sympathy for the higher power holding them captive.
Fanton said, "Man's tragedy, Nietzsche said, is that he was once a child. . . . However painful it may be for me to accept this conclusion, I am obliged to state it: For the black man there is only one destiny. And it is white" Even Fanton agrees that the truth is grim, but the truth is indeed the truth. Even in America, citizens from other countries adapt to the American life. It's for practicality and for survival. It's human instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment