Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Appeasement-Not a Good Solution

Appeasement is rarely the best way to solve a conflict. Rather compromise or discussion is a better solution. I fight with my sister very often. In order to resolve these fights we promise to do favors for one another. Overtime these favors build up and up until they rarely mean anything at all. Our initial fight was never resolved and continues to escalate. We keep pacifying the other with irrelevant favors that don't help anything. Perhaps if we discussed the fight with one another and came to a compromise it would be over. On a slightly larger scale, perhaps other countries didn't appease Hitler, maybe they could have stopped his eventual destruction. By attempting to pacify him rather than attempting a compromise, the "fight" escalated and turned into a war.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you are saying here. This happens in my life constantly with my brother and I can symphatize with you. I rarely use appeasement as well and am glad someone agrees with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. Appeasing people is never better than compromising. Although appeasement can better a situation for a short while, underlying tensions continue, as you said, so it really doesn't solve anything. Compromise may or may not have worked with Hitler, but appeasement definitely did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. Compromising and talking issues out is always a better route than trying to appease someone else. I am a little confused about you promising to do favors for your sister and vice versa. That sounds kind of like a compromise to me? I probably have that wrong. But your points are great about how these favors or promises don't last, like the treaty of versaille clearly didn't last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with you that appeasement is definitely not the right path to take. I also agree in that these favors we do for others eventually are meaningless and are totally irrelevant to the original problem, that is still present and probably growing.

    ReplyDelete