Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Appeasement vs. Compromise

Appeasement and compromise are very different things. Appeasement requires only one side to yield to the other person's wishes, whereas compromise is a partial yielding of both sides—only an adjustment of each side's wishes. Personally, I believe more in compromise than appeasement, because decisions are more effective if everyone involved has some kind of say in them, rather than having to surrender to one person's idea. Ever since I stopped eating meat, I've had to do a lot of compromising when it comes to ordering food (especially for clubs or special events). Obviously, I don't force everyone to appease me by ordering all non-meat food all the time. Instead, we order half meat half not meat, so neither meat-eaters nor non-meat-eaters feel a lack of food they like. In general, compromise leads to much better conclusions than appeasement, because neither person (or group) feels like they have been completely ignored in their wishes or opinions.

4 comments:

  1. First off, your definition of both compromise and appeasement set up the rest of your piece nicely. After your definition, you continue to thuroughly explain which one you prefer and why. Your reasoning is clear and you are very good getting your point across.

    - j-dub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I think that your explanations of appeasement and compromise helps the reader truly understand what you are talking about. Your explanation of eating situations intigued me. I think that you wrote cleanly and precisely. Overall, I liked your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with you regarding how compromise is better than appeasement because both sides feel honored. Your blog has a very clear point and is very well-written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clearly define the differences between appeasement and compromise, which makes your argument very strong. The example you used of being a vegetarian furthers you definition of compromise and provides an everyday example that most can relate to. It was a very strong piece, and even if I hadn't agreed with you in the first place (which I did), I think that this would have convinced me that compromise is more useful than appeasement.

    ReplyDelete