Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Appeasement On the Daily

Let's be real here. Nearly every single person I have ever known has been appeasing their whole lives like it aint nothin'. And when you think about, it really isn't. Since the very day we all became aware of our surroundings, we have been appeasing society as if appeasing= hella monies. And, hey, sometimes appeasement does= hella monies, or happiness (realistic or delusional), or simply relief. but no one can deny the truth that the system we have created for ourselves has virtually shaped our lives into a basic model of conformity and living within boundaries. When we regard laws, go to school, and eat timely meals we are defining our lines of daily life. Society today depends upon the appeasement by citizens of the modern world, in their respective regions. But also, who really hasn't questioned a political or educational system at some point in their life? I know that sometimes school frustrates me so much that I condemn the forefathers of America for not willing to adjust to the individual aspect of a democratic society. I feel that society has unjustly placed my life within an inescapable and suffocating bottle that is the shape of life. But then I see that it is undeniable that I have contributed to the placement of this bottle. And I also realize as a I type this, how hypocritical it is of me to criticize and negatively analyze appeasement while I so willingly oblige to the demands of our society right now by writing this paper. Really, what is to stop me form giving up all possessions and joining a monastery, or travel to Europe to immerse myself in ancient civilizations, or even just wholly dedicate my life to a cause or goal? Ultimately, it is the impenetrable bond between my life and society that holds me back. All I have ever known, is holding me back. I leave with a question, if the definition of appeasement is to bring peace/content to a situation or person, will we ever actually be able to stop appeasing?

1 comment:

  1. Very deep, very profound.

    It's nice how when you're talking about society and appeasement near the middle of your paragraph, you make each sentence a punchy continuation of the previous one's point.

    ReplyDelete