Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Appeasement vs. Compromise

As we have seen in 1938 and 1939, and throughout history, for that matter, compromise is a much more just and efficient way of bargaining than appeasement. However, I find that appeasement is often much easier at the spur-of-the-moment that compromise. For example, my brother and I often squabble over who's turn it is to set the table. Often, I won't set it, even if it's my turn, forcing my brother to set it. To repay him, and to live with a clear conscience, I'll just repay him with some sort of snack (in my family, my parents only let us each have a certain amount of snacks per month, so we covet them), and then not set the table for the third day in a row. To prevent him from telling my parents, I usually only have to bribe him with one snack, which is a concession I am willing to make. Clearly, then, appeasement does have its advantages, even if it seems futile, or lazier than compromise. To relate this back to history, in 1938, I can imagine that the Brits and the French could have cared less if German invaded Sudetenland - the minuscule northwestern corner of Czechoslovakia. All they wanted is peace, and they achieved that (albeit momentarily).
(This post was edited at 6:25 on Thursday to clarify my ideas about appeasement.)

2 comments:

  1. I think that your example is very good and relates very well to the topic we are talking about. It is true that appeasement can seem like a lazier option at times, but if you are tired, as the powers were after the war during the depression, or do not want to deal with the situation, the powers had probably seen enough of the Germans in the first war. Unfortunately, while as you say they got their momentary peace, they also set themselves up for an even bigger conflict in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a very interesting point about how appeasement is easier and resolves things quicker, even though this resolution may be fleeting. This reasoning does help explain why Britain, France, and other world powers did nothing to stop Hitler. The example - an experience many have had - you used helps us put into perspective why these world powers were willing to appease Hitler and makes us question what we would have done if we were in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete