Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Appeasement

Usually, I find appeasement to not be helpful, because in the end one thing leads to another and the situation is dragged out much longer than predicted. Once, when my family was having a family feud and we were all in a quarrel, and as a result of the argument my brother ended up being grounded. I started to clean his room for him because I felt bad, and then one day I simply didn't clean his room because I forgot. He began to rely on me cleaning his room even after his grounding was over. Here I was able to see how easily one action leads into another and I instantly became the weaker one in our relationship.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, you're super nice for cleaning your brother's room because I, myself would never do that. But I think you're right that there needs to be limits on appeasement because eventually the other person or party expects too much and you give in to too much. A good question that you're blog suggests is "when should appeasement stop?" because it's easy to keep giving in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before reading this I didn't really think of the effects of appeasement in a negative way. It was interesting to see how people can take advantage of appeasement. Do you always believe though that appeasement will lead to the other person taking advantage of you, our do you think it could ever make them thankful and want to return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you came up with some great points for appeasement, and it was very similar to "if you give a mouse a cookie". I think that it is true that once you give into one thing that it all goes down hill from then on, and you get deeper and deeper into the situation and are constantly being screwed over because you keep giving in.

    ReplyDelete