Monday, March 2, 2009

Equal Rights?

What is fascism? When I first heard this word I asked myself the same question. The dictionary definition of fascism is a single organization or group repression of opposition and extreme nationalism. It is also any movement, or tendency that favors a dictatorial government like Benito Mussolini practiced in Italy between 1922 and 1943.When I think of fascism I relate it to events that occurred during the 1900’s and not to today’s events. I never made the connection with fascism and the 21st century, until I read the article in Upfront called “The Price of Going to Class.” After reading this article I was shocked at how some people view women and education, especially the Taliban. The Taliban believe that a woman’s place is at home taking care of her family and bearing children, not getting an education. I don’t understand why an educated woman is a bad thing, while it’s the “norm” for a man. Women are entitled to have the same rights as men but in Afghanistan this is not that case. I find this disturbing because women and young girls are not living a life they choose. I am saddened by the thought that women like Inez Milholland, fought so hard for women’s rights and we have not made real progress for women worldwide. How is it possible that some women today are not allowed an education? Every young girl in America has the opportunity to go to school and be educated. We take education for granted. We feel entitled to it and why shouldn’t we? However we must remember that not all women have the same rights as we enjoy in this country. The girls in Afghanistan would do anything to go to school and stop the Taliban from banning their education. When I finished reading the article “The Price of Going to Class” the first word that came to mind was fascism. I believe the Taliban is a fascist group in the true sense of the word. They may not hold all the power quite yet but they are on their way to gaining complete control. It is frightening how fascist groups seem to succeed in gaining control even when their intentions are bad like Adolph Hitler. Even though what he did was horrible he remained in power and was able to convince people to join him and his fellow Nazi members.

No comments:

Post a Comment