Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Appeasement

I think all of us have had many situations in which appeasement has definitely been the reason that things don't get out of hand. There obviously is a line to draw in certain situations, like when things get personal or when someone says something they know that they should not have said. When these things happen to me, I have definitely used appeasement to try to take some of the sting off of my words. A lot of times I will accidentally say something that I regret saying, and to try to make up for that, I will try to agree with that other person to take some of the meanness out of what I said that maybe upset them or something like that. I think that this comes up a lot with parents, where you get angry, or you are trying to get them to allow you to do something, and appeasement can often times be what you use to get what you want for a lot of people. Overall, I find this concept to be pretty interesting, and I am curious to see how it becomes relevant in some of the topics that we are studying right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment