Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Appeasing is Pleasing

Ahh appeasement, what is done to someone in order to give them a sense of "power/freedom", but in reality is kept under a glass ceiling. This tactic is used all the time in sports. I cannot recall the last time I appeased anyone, but I have recently witnessed an example of it. On my younger sister's basketball team, it is obvious who are better players than others. After spending numerous games spectating from the sidelines, one of the players sent the coach an email about possibly getting more playing time. It is clear that the girl is not as good of a player as the girls who got most of the playing time, but the coach felt bad and decided to take action. The next game, the coach put the complaining girl in the game during the first moments of the game. After about one minute and thirty seconds, they girl was right out. By doing this, the girl felt like she contributed to the team and was satisfied. When a coach does something like that to a player, he/she is basically saying, " I'll let you get a little taste, but you won't be in long enough to make a huge difference". I have also recently been the victim of appeasement and just now realized. My dance instructor knows that I prefer one specific dancer (in another class) over the other dancers. Realizing this, she placed me in the same number of my "prefered dancer". At first I thought, " Yes! I get to dance with my prefered dancer!". I soon realized that I would only be moving props around while she dances. I still found that satisfying enough, but I know see that I was just another victim of appeasement.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your analogy to sports, it makes a lot of sense and flows with what you're arguing. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh so true in sports
    so f'ing true
    its sad how appeasement can lead to one's success, and another's demise. even after we stop playing sports, we will see appeasement in the office, and wherever else we go.

    ReplyDelete