Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Appeasing the Pooch

According to me, a dog is both a friend and a family member; some may argue otherwise. Nonetheless, when speaking of appeasing, my dog is the first thing that comes to mind. My dog is what some would call a "barker". In general, there are dogs that bark and dogs that don't bark; my dog is a barker, therefore he barks a lot. From time to time when a new or unfamiliar face comes through the door, he wont stop barking. This is when I have to step in and appease the pooch. All I do to appease him is; let him bark for a little bit until he begins to get annoying. Then you give him a snack, and all the sudden he loves you and whom ever happens to be visiting. So far I have found this method to be very effective. Although it doesn't quite relate to how the allies tried to appease Germany, it is a story involving both me and the power of appeasing. Maybe you should try it out with your dog!

5 comments:

  1. This is a great op-ed. Your relation to WWI helps me understand the definition of appeasement. I think is very cute how you appease your "pooch". This op-ed has enlightened me on how to effectively use appeasement on a normal basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a dog IS a friend AND family member! OH MY was my dog the barker! She barked so muchhhh but i let it fly, even if the neighbors came knocking at our door at 2 in the morning.
    Maybe if you wanted ur dog to stop barking, don't give him treats because then he will think, ' oh, if i bark, i get treats,' and thats not what you want eh?
    hhaa good work and you got appeasement

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor has a dog that barks all of the time (it's actually barking right now), but I don't think I'm allowed to give it food to make it stop. I wish this kind of appeasement were applicable for dogs that are not your own...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I don't have a dog, I like this because it really is appeasement and I like the connection. Good job man

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved your story about you dog especially because we do the same in our family with our dog. I think it was a perfect example of appeasement! Although it doesn't seem like it connects with World War II, I think that this same process was found very effective for Hitler. (Maybe be didn't bark...)

    ReplyDelete