Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Father-Daughter Appeasement

The most memorable experience i have had with appeasement is with my father, Dominick. After being his daughter for 16 years i have learned that the more i give the more willing he is to let me do what i want but sadly that doesn't always work. For example, my dad has this thing about always wanting to walk with me, so whenever i know i want to do something on a weekend and he asks me to walk with him instead of saying no and arguing i say yes thinking that it will benefit be in the end. It did the first couple times. It was the magic charm and worked all the time but now my dad has figured it out and is using it to his advantage. He will tell me if i walk with him i "might" be able to go out, might being the key word. After walking with him and being the pleasant daughter i always am, i am excited cause i am thinking "yes i am going out" but no. Ill ask him and he will flat out say no. So over time i have learned appeasement isn't always the most effective way to get what you want because its to much in the air. Their is no signed agreement and there is for sure no grantee the other person will do what you think or wanted them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment