Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Insane or Not?

I read an article in the New York Times titled Insane or Just Evil? A Psychiatrist Takes a New Look at Hitler. There have been many historians who have thought Hitler was “mad” because they cannot or do not want to believe that a sane person could commit such evil acts. Although Hitler had many physical ailments and even some psychogenic complaints he did not suffer from anything so severe that it could be used to excuse his crimes. Dr Redlich, a retired professor of psychiatry at both Yale University and the University of California at Los Angeles researched Hitler for years to disprove this theory that he was insane. Redlich concluded that even though Hitler exhibited many psychiatric symptoms, “he most likely was not truly mentally ill.” He believed Hitler “knew what he was doing and he choose to do it with pride and enthusiasm.” I agree with Dr Redlich. I believe Hitler was sane. The reason he committed these horrific crimes may never be known.

4 comments:

  1. Yea I agree, Hitler's "insanity" and "mental issues" should not be an excuse for the horrible things he did. I read this one article as well but did my blog on a different one. Good Job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a poignant issue on how we justify hitler's actions. I agree that he was not mentally ill, but that doesn't make me feel very good about the capabilities of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Hitler's "insanity defense" is no excuse whatsoever to the horrendous crimes he performed. Even if he was seriously mentally ill, the blame would then fall on the German government for allowing an insane person to take control of Germany, but also for following through with his policies. Unless they also plan to claim temporary insanity as the reason behind ordering millions of Jews to be killed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hitler used a totally bullshit excuse with the good ol' insanity defense. I didn't buy it and neither did the rest of the world. I wonder how big his conscience was...

    ReplyDelete