Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Social Appeasement

While appeasement is used politically as a method to avoid war or conflict, it is also a tactic used socially to keep the peace with a family member or friend. For example, when I was young, my brother and I would constantly fight. Being the older sibling, he always thought he could just take or use my things without asking. While in the beginning I would put up a fight, I'd eventually just give in and let him keep one of my beanie babies, stuffed animals, or other toys. I didn't want to get in a screaming fight with him anymore and this one tiny little gesture could prevent just that. Of course, doing so only caused him to want more and more of my belongings so in retrospect, maybe that wasn't the best idea. So overall, appeasement solves conflicts socially in the same way that it does politically, by simply keeping the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment