Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Appeasement

Now that I have learned the concept of appeasement I realize that I do not use this concept often in my life. This may be one of my many, many weaknesses. I am often wound up too tight and rarely let anything slide. This leads to the loss and destruction of many friendships. I also never appease any school work. I always do every homework assignment no matter how pointless they are. I have been given such a good opprotunity to go to such a great school, why waste it. The only time I appease people is in sports and in relationships (with women). In sports I often allow the opponent some appeasement so that he will be able to survive my wrath. In relationships (with women) one must appease the opposite sex if they want to have a successful relationship. I wasn't informed this in a my last relationship and the relationship quickly ended because both my partner and I often butted heads about time management, PDA, and other things of that nature. I think that appeasement is a very confusing thing that needs to be greatly considered while in any relationship. It is different in every situation and a formula cannot be used to understand it's importance.

After rethinking the term appeasement I believe that an example in my life where I am appeased is when I want to attend a party and at first my mom does not want me to go. Then after persuasion she will let me go, however I will need to come home by ten o'clock although the party ends much later. So my mother appeases me to go the party, yet I will need to leave it early.

4 comments:

  1. i just read this and assumed it was the hitler article thing...and i still don't know what the context is...maybe a skill one must have to hone in life? I thought this was really interesting and your take on appeasement is so true. Its tough to appease a person...especially one that is pretty dang close to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its interesting to hear about somone that doesn't use appeasement in their daily lives. Many of the other op eds are about how appeasement ultimately fails because the other person starts asking for too much. However, here you're saying that your relationships failed because you didnt use appeasement. It evokes the question of what an effective way to keep long term peace is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you related it to your personal life. It really added a deeper level of understanding. Although, the sports part confused me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your take on appeasement is good, because I as well don't like to appease much. I thought it was great how you linked this to your personal life and really like your relationship advice.

    ReplyDelete